Viva Las Vegas

D and I are in Vegas. We arrived Sunday after 6 hours in a very uncomfortably full airplane. It SHOULD have only taken 4 hours, but they made us board a broken plane, where we sat for two hours while they fixed the navigational system. I had to use the teeny tiny bathroom on a plane TWICE before we even left the gate, that's how long the fixing took. Then our plane needed to be de-iced, so that added additional wait time before we were finally airborn. Our 9:53 arrival time became 11:45, so we grabbed a quick bite before heading straight to the convention center to start setting up work's trade show booth.

Set-up went extremely smoothly, thanks to Dave. He is very good at putting things together and I'm not sure my coworkers and I would have been able to put the booth together so quickly if he hadn't been there to correct our mistakes.

The first day of the show was busy! We got lots of good leads and I found 40 bucks on the floor of the convention center. I decided it was to become my lucky money and needed to be gambled with, though it's more accurate to say it was gambled away. I think all I have left of it after an hour at a $5 Blackjack table is 3 fifty cent pieces. I hit 21 three times and the dealer "rewards" you with a dollar-fifty.

Since arriving, we've eaten WAY too much food, spent more money than we should have on clothes, gambled away someone else's money, and saw "Zumanity" which is a Cirque du Soleil show that is pretty risque. It was beautifully done and has probably been my favorite part of this trip. I also experience a moronic moment when I jumped into a cab to head from my hotel to the convention center only to remember that I had no cash on me. I had to get the cabbie, who spoke very little English, to drive me to an ATM. The ATM was "out of order" so I had to run across the street to a Walgreens to get some cash back, all while the meter was running. I think a ten dollar cab ride ended up costing twice that. But hey, it could have been worse!

Tonight I finally convinced Dave to stay in and enjoy a quiet night in the hotel room. I have been able to catch up with my awesome flickr group, answer some emails, and take a nap! I am finally beginning to feel human again. Hopefully, the break will be good for my poor little abused feet. Only one more day of working the tradeshow booth. Tomorrow we pack it up and can have some fun before getting on the airplane Saturday afternoon. I can't wait to get back home and see how my furry kids are doing. The pet sitter I hired is excellent, but I still worry about my babies when I am not there to take care of them!

I need to remember to take my camera with me tomorrow and actually use it! I am sad to say I have not taken a single picture the whole time I've been here. I wish we had been allowed to photograph parts of Zumanity, but at least I have a show program.

So to wrap it up, I am going to take a note from my beautiful new friend, Catie, and list the 5 things I have most enjoyed about Vegas:

1) Having Dave here with me. It is much more fun with him around, even if we have to share a hotel bathroom.

2) The sushi buffet Todai in the Miracle Mile at Planet Hollywood. All-You-Can-Eat-Sushi=Happy Chelle.

3) my new jeans from The Limited. Even though I had to buy a larger size than I usualy wear, they fit BEAUTIFULLY and I think I am in love with them.

4) The sanctuary that is my hotel room. When you are constantly surrounded by people, and are not a people person, there is nothing better than returning to the serenity that is your space.

5) Zumanity. The sensual side of Cirque du Soleil.

1 comment:

bluesleepy said...

All. You. Can. Eat. Sushi??? Oh be still, my pounding heart!! YUM!!! Also, that is AWESOME you got to see Cirque du Soleil. I have always wanted to see a show!

I totally get the sanctuary that is one's hotel room too. I spent a month in Kenya once, surrounded at all times by the other 21 members of our group. I even had to share my tent with two other girls. When I finally got home, my dad let me drive the van home from the repair shop by myself, and the silence was deafening... but in a good way. I relished those 10 minutes all by myself.