Up in the air

This weekend is Easter. And Dave and I have no plans to do anything other than just spend time together. We may ride bikes, though I really wish we could find somewhere nearby where there is little to no traffic. I am getting better, but I have a long way to go until I am comfortable riding on my own.

Remember those tornadoes that hit downtown Atlanta last weekend? We were very lucky that they did not affect us at all, but they hit pretty close to us, about twenty miles north of our house, to be exact. This weekend several of the areas that were hit are staging community clean-ups. I would like to volunteer Dave and myself for the Cabbagetown Community Clean-up this Saturday. I need to discuss it with him, but I think that would be the perfect way to celebrate the Easter holiday. Dave has a chainsaw and a truck (and the muscle) and I can pick up trash or do smallish repairs for someone who needs them.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and a holiday for a lot of people I know. Not for me, unfortunately. One of the disappointing things about this job is the lack of time-off. I get no other holidays off, other than Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and New Years Day. Dave, on the other hand, gets to count every holiday and even if he is scheduled to work on a holiday, he gets double the pay. Dave's family is getting together for Easter and I would love to suggest that we go. But a part of me wants to have a quiet weekend, since we've been so busy lately. We will be heading up to PA in August for the wedding of one of Dave's good friends, but that seems really far away right now. We go to my mom's house so often, that I start to feel a little guilty that we don't live closer to Dave's parents. Also, next weekend is a Scottish Games in Mint Hill, North Carolina, so we'll be traveling fools once again. I am looking forward to the traveling part, but all of the Scottish Games start to blend together after awhile. I am left to pretty much fend for myself while Dave is competing on the athletic field. The competitions take all day, so I only get to talk to him when they take a break. It would be a little easier if I had someone there to hang out with while he's competing. We will probably be taking the dogs, so at least I will have them to keep me busy!

I just reread what I have written and I think I am being a little bit whiny today. Hopefully, a walk in the beautiful sunshine during my lunch break will be just the pick-me-up I seem to be needing! And it's the first day of Spring. That alone makes me very happy.

1 comment:

Tracy27 said...

Happy 1st of Spring! I like the symbolism of helping clean up tornado damage on Easter weekend - the unburying and renewing of life following calamity.

I know what you're saying about trying to balance family visits - it's hard when both sets of families live in different states.