Happy Anniversary, Hon

Dear Dave,

I can't believe it's been three years already. Where did the time go? Three years ago today, I was getting ready to climb a mountain in a long white dress and white Nike's so we could pledge ourselves to one another in front of all of our family and close friends. And now, three years later, we are still going strong. Amazing, huh? I think so. I feel so lucky to have met you and I am grateful that you are such a huge part of my life. I know for a fact that the ride has gotten a lot more interesting and fun with you right here beside me. And what a wild ride it's been!

In the last three years, we have:

1) Learned how to pick our battles. Though I can't say we never fight, I think we have learned to fight graciously and fairly. We are comfortable enough with each other that we seldom hold anything back and we never hold a grudge. Or go to bed mad. I think it's because we usually forget what the argument was about five minutes after having it.

2) Learned that humor - the ability to laugh at ourselves and each other - is one of the necessary components of our relationship. Since you have come into my life, I have laughed more than I ever thought possible. You are such a joker and I love that about you. I love our shared jokes, the ones that no one else gets but us. And I love that you have ended arguments by forcing me to clear the room to avoid the stench emanating from your rear-end. Dude, that shit STINKS.

3) Learned how to be comfortable with one another. And that comfortable doesn't necessarily mean boring.

4) Learned how to work as a team. We've tiled together. We've painted together. We've learned how to ride motorcycles together. We clean house together. We take turns feeding the animals. I love that we have learned to share the load...to help each other shoulder the burdens that are a part of life. I can't wait to have children with you because I know we will do well raising them as a team.

5) Discovered that it's okay to need a little bit of time apart. We have our own interests, separate from us, and I think that is awesome. And you are awesome because you know that sometimes, I need my space. And I love you so much for that.

Oh, there is so much more we have learned and done together and I know there is more to come. And I can't wait to see what the future brings. I love you, hon. Thank you for being you, the light of my life.

Love,

Chelle

2 comments:

bluesleepy said...

This is such a beautiful post!! I think you and Dave have a really strong thing going there. May it last for all of eternity!!

Happy anniversary!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! What a lovely tribute to your relationship.