Baby steps

Thanks for the kind comments on my last post. Gavin is back to normal, with a slightly improved disposition. I think the two days away made him realize just how good he's got it!

*****

Last night, Dave and I took the bikes to dinner. We went to our favorite sushi place that's about 5 miles away from our house. Dave let me lead, and we made it there and back with out any mishaps on my part. And I even had to ride over railroad tracks and a large puddle of water on the road. We definitely weren't traveling as fast as I'm sure Dave would have liked, but he is being patient with me as I take baby steps toward mastering this motorcycle. And I am so happy with the progress I am making! I am no longer apprehensive about the twist throttle or the shifting and can now concentrate a little more on how I should be riding. When to lean and how far when turning. How to sit more comfortably. And soon I may just be able to wave back at the other bikers we pass.

Bikers have a special "wave" that they give other bikers when they pass each other, much like boaters wave at other boaters. When passing another boat, you just give a friendly wave, but on a bike, you are supposed to take whatever hand is closest to the other rider, make the peace sign, and hold you hand down by your side, fingers pointed toward the ground. I have not been able to do this yet, because I usually have a death-grip on the handlebars. But I'll get there, fellow bikers, just give me time.

3 comments:

Tracy27 said...

So now you're learning the biker gang signs? Just remember, it's all fun and games until one day you find yourself sporting a fringed black leather bustier and a Harley Davidson neck tattoo.

bluesleepy said...

Tracy's so darn funny!! I have seen that biker wave. It's pretty cool they have their own wave.

Congrats on getting more comfortable on your bike!!

Anonymous said...

I am cracking up picturing you in fringe and throwing signs.

I have an aunt who started out slowly on the bike like you and now she rides her Harley stark naked in broad daylight. I'm just sayin'.