And the cat came back




So Gavin has been sick. He threw up his dinner on Sunday night and I didn't think anything of it, except, "Well, that's what happens when we eat so fast." Monday morning, he wouldn't touch his food, which is very un-Gavin-like. Then he threw up and there was a little bit of blood in it. So to the vet, he went.

Dave took him, since he's on nights and didn't have to be at work until 2. I went on to work. Now, I like my vet and I love my husband, but I don't think they are the best "team" when it comes to handling a crisis with one of the pets. The vet, oh how he loves to jump to conclusions, or present you with the worst possible scenario. Combined with Dave's ability to dramatize, and they both were sure that Gavin was dying from Feline Leukemia.

After I had calmed Dave down, I decided to take over the coordination of Gavin's treatment, so I called the vet. And explained how Gavin is an inside cat and that there is no way he could have contracted leukemia. I went ahead and authorized the tests, and of course, they came back negative. Gavin's blood sugar, enzymes and everything else were also normal. But they wanted to keep him overnight for observation. I went to visit him after work, and though he was a little out of it, he seemed pretty happy to see me.

So yesterday, he was fine. No more throwing up. So they sent him home with an antibiotic and some special canned food that I paid a lot of money for and that he refuses to eat. Though I don't blame him, considering how it smells.

The verdict? They still don't know what was wrong with him. He either ate something that was toxic or had the beginnings of a bacterial infection in his GI tract. He did not want to eat last night, but he finally started picking at his food again this morning, so things are looking up. And now I am questioning whether or not Dave and I are really ready for kids.

3 comments:

bluesleepy said...

Hehehe I don't think a person is ever ready for kids. It's all about winging it!

I hope Gavin continues to feel better. That must have been a bit scary for everyone involved. *HUGS*

ellie said...

Poor baby. He's gorgeous. I hope he'll be ok.

Anonymous said...

How scary, but I'm glad he is on the mend! Those damn cats. They like to put us through the wringer, don't they?

(this is the link to my new diary, although I'll be keeping dland open for a while longer)