Sometimes, I just don't know. And that's okay by me.



The in-laws are officially gone and now I want to just curl up somewhere soft and warm and go to sleep for about a week. Like a cat. I am so tired, but I did it to myself. I do not have any leave left, so I had to work while our company was here and I stayed up late visiting each night. YAWN.

The visit was nice, though I am always amazed at how differently Dave and I were raised. Dave's mother is very mothering, always wanting to know what is going on, hanging on every word, following him around. So completely devoted. This is completely opposite me and my mom and I just don't know what to think, sometimes. Things she did while she was here that my mom would never, in a million light-years, would do:
1. All of our laundry. She even washed the sheets from our bed yesterday.
2. She prepared dinner the first night she was here.
3. Dusted.
4. Made our bed every single day.
5. Walked into my room while I was changing, immediately after knocking, but without waiting for a reply.
6. Insisted on camera help.
7. Removed the teapot from the stove top every time we left the house. I would remind her that the teapot lives on the burner (turned off, of course) when she is not here, but she needed to put it elsewhere.
8. Went grocery shopping.
9. Packed lunches for our trip to Dave's games on Saturday.

Dave's dad is a lot more laid back and a lot less officious. He's quiet, an observer and a hard worker. He likes to stay busy busy busy and while he was here, he:
1. Helped Dave cut down trees. I think more than two, but less than five.
2. Planted even more stuff in our garden and flower boxes.
3. Burned leaves, brush, branches and logs from tree removal.
4. Burned our Pampas grass. "They will grow back even better. Like a phoenix."
5. Tilled our front island and removed the old pavers.
6. Helped Dave take the old refrigerator to the dump.
7. Moved my old futon mattress into one of the guest rooms, under the bed. We threw the frame away years ago, but I like the mattress and want to keep it for company or to use in a new frame someday.
8. Helped Dave with attic stuff.

Just typing all of this is making me tired. Okay, Yankees, you win. This southerner needs sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless that sort of help makes you crazy, your MIL will be PERFECT for when you get some babies. You can just be a mom and she can take care of all the other stuff.

bluesleepy said...

I second Catie on that. It can be a godsend. And how neat Dave's parents were able to see him take first place at the Games!!!