He's not heavy, he's my brother

Chris is safely back in California and my in-laws are in the air as I type this. I had so much fun with my brother and I wish he didn't live so far away.

He got here after midnight on a Tuesday and left on the earliest flight the following Wednesday. On his weekend, he decided to drive down to Florida to visit mom. I took a sick day and rode along with him. We only stayed a weekend and weekends go by so fast. We helped mom with a few chores around the house that she just can't do anymore. Like cutting down tree branches that were damaging her roof. Chris climbed up onto the roof in flip flops and shorts. I told him it was unsafe, but he never listens.

My older brother is becoming more of a recluse than ever. He only drove down from the city twice to see Chris. Only the first visit was any fun. The second, he wasn't feeling well and left soon after he arrived. On Chris's last night here, he didn't even make an effort at all. I feel uncharitable when I get so annoyed with him, but I don't understand how someone can not even try, always expecting everyone else to bend bend bend. I don't feel close to breaking, but I am tired of being so flexible.

I got to go on a bike ride with Chris while he was here. He gave me a few pointers and said I was doing really well for a beginner. I am glad Dave trusted Chris to ride his new bike. I think that was one of the highlights of Chris's trip. I know it was one of my favorite things.

I also put Chris to work during his visit. He came to eat lunch with me at work everyday, and on his last day, we did this:



Chris is a really good sport. I needed a photo for an ad for our manhole security product. The premise of the ad is keeping unauthorized personnel out of manholes. Chris offered to be the model (and the muscle) and we got a good photo for the ad. And we had a great time while doing it. Oh, the jokes that were flying around during this photo shoot!

I miss Chris and hope he moves close to me and Dave when he gets out of the Navy. He is mellow and fun and easy to be around. It's always hard to watch him leave, especially when he is so unhappy in the Navy and disappointed with where he lives. Only one more year. I hope he can hang on that long.

I'm looking forward to the next group of visitors. The house has been cleaned, the dogs bathed, the garage straightened, so I think we are ready. Now, if only I had about a day or two to catch up on my sleep!

2 comments:

bluesleepy said...

YAY for a visit from Chris!! That would be awesome if he could find something near you when he gets out. I know how much you two love each other and enjoy each other's company.

Anonymous said...

This made me a little weepy. I hope that Chris moves close to you and Dave, too.