Misplaced

You haven't seen my May, have you? I seem to have misplaced it because it cannot possibly be June already. Can it? Damn.

Why is it that the older you get, the faster time gets away from you? When I was a kid, I remember days just dragging by, especially school days. And even in the summer time, the days felt endless. My brothers and I would head outside to play not long after the sun had made its appearance and we'd only go back inside for meals until the sun went to bed for the day. Now that I am older, I feel like time is just slipping away and I've done nothing to try and capture it.

So, it's June. Day two, to be precise, and this month is already off to a busy start. My house has decided to become a bed and breakfast for the month. My bigger-than-me little brother will be here Tuesday night. He's having a rough time of it in these last few months of his naval career. For some reason, his Chief is really out to get him and he's trying to hang on until he's fulfilled his obligation. I think he's hanging on by a thread at this point, so I'm hoping that this visit will help lower his stress level a little. I want him to know that it's okay to escape every once in a while and sometimes, the very best escape comes from being surrounded by those who love you, no matter what.

Chris leaves on the 10th and my in-laws get here on the 11th. They are staying until the 17th. That leaves the second half of the month wide open for potential guests of the Philoschelle Bed & Breakfast. Any takers?

Visitors also mean that I get to clean, which I will admit I have been slacking on lately. I would much rather hang out with friends or read a good book or watch a movie than dust and vacuum. This weekend was perfect for cleaning, though; Dave had to work evenings and I had no plans. So I vacuumed and dusted and put away a lot of clutter and even caught up on laundry. Tonight I will clean bathrooms and wash the sheets on the guest bed and maybe mop the floor in the kitchen, though I am hesitant to go too crazy in the cleaning of the kitchen since our refrigerator is on the fritz and Dave keeps dragging it out of its nook to mess with it. I think we just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one, but Dave wants to try and fix it first. We are on Try #2 and it doesn't seem to be working any better. The fridge was bought in '94, so I think it's had a good life. Ima give Dave one more chance because I'm really beginning to miss having a freezer. And ice! I really miss you, Ice.

I have been at work for an hour now, and have done nothing productive. So I'd better get to it.

2 comments:

bluesleepy said...

I know Chris is kinda shy, but if he needs to vent or discuss what's going on with his Navy career, he is more than welcome to email Kurt. There are crappy Chiefs out there, and it's a horrible thing. But if he can just hang on till that Chief is transferred, or if he goes someplace else, his life may improve immeasurably.

I would LOVE to come for the second half of June -- but my in-laws are going to be here instead. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Poor Grits! But you're right: being around people who love and accept you is the best way to get through tough times. I wish I could come down and see you.