And the sunshine echoed with laughter

I feel like I should write this post in stream of consciousness because that is what the memories of this past weekend feel like to me:

The plane touches down where the sun is shining. I begin to shake and wonder "is this wrong?" as I let them know I have arrived. A red bag. Wheeling toward the unknown. Strangers all around. I've never done something like this. Never been this daring. A warm bench. A cool breeze. Waiting. Watching. Wondering. I remove my jacket and feel the wind on my arms. Nervousness. Cannot sit still. What if? A shiny car. Friendliness. A new beginning. The intangible becoming real. Driving surrounded by mountains, conversation, sunlight. A new place. So many faces. Second guesses, Hesitation. Then, laughter. Surrounding me like a soft blanket. Hugs. Calzones. The doubts float away like dust motes. And then there is love. Sharing. Intelligent conversations.

Smiles. So much laughter. Easiness. Cats and sunlight. Food and cool drinks. The color pink. A celebration of someone special. Magical. The reason we are here. The universe is smiling. I think "Where is the drama?" And there is none.

A long table. Beautiful people. Cameras everywhere. Fresh sushi and endamame and miso soup. The low buzz of conversation. Operatic singing. Sated and sleepy. Trees with white lights. A hotel room. Yellow walls. Games and more laughter. An open window. A warning delivered meekly. Attempted hushing. A crescendo of noise. Singing. Drinking. Carousing. Sleep.

A new day. A beautiful breakfast. Strong coffee. Multiple cups in saucers. Paper plates decorated with cupcakes. Shifting the focus. Surprise and tears. Hugs and comfort. Passing around tissues. Weeping dissolves into laughing. A flurry to gather supplies. Moving to another gathering place. Glue and scissors with the alphabet as inspiration. To adorn a baby's room. L and R, M and C are taken. 14 spectacular results. Night falls. Dinner is paella and sangria. My brother arrives late, but safe.

A trip to the airport. The first goodbye.

Games and more laughter. More goodbyes. Then sleep. Morning. Dress warm. Riding behind my brother. I am scared, but won't show it. I trust him implicitly and ride perched behind him. Don't fall. Speeding down the freeway. The wind whistling. A beautiful coast. 10 foot tall dinosaurs welded out of metal. Camera trouble. New card, continue on our way. Driving through the city. It is cold and overcast. Surrounded by fog and cars.

A huge cable bridge spanning the bay. A famous prison. I take lots of photos. At least for me. I am beginning to ache as I realize it's time to go back. Perched for what seems like eternity. Burning between my legs. I hold on. Stopping to say "We're allmost there." Understanding.

Dinner in a small space. Good food. A smaller group. More games. A sense of melancholy. Knowing it will soon end. Heading to the Anchev house. Comfortable and homey. A cat jump into a basket. More sharing. My brother opens up about our dad and for a moment I am sad. Back to the hotel. Everyone is sleepy. Worried about his ride home, I fall asleep.

Packing. Waiting for a ride to breakfast. The mood is subdued. We know we are leaving. Laughter, eggs and coffee. Then alone time with Catie. Decompressing from the excitement. A ride to the airport. Hugs goodbye. Too tired for tears. Feeling small and alone as I wait for the plane. Four hours airborne. A shaky landing. A hug from Dave and I'm home.

4 comments:

bluesleepy said...

Wow, this is beautiful, Chelle. You captured every moment. I think I'm about to weep again.

Thank you, hon. Thanks for being such a good friend, not just to me, but to all of us. You are such a wonderful and sweet woman, and I am so very glad you are my friend.

Unknown said...

You, not brave? I think you have the wrong woman. You seem very brave and confident to me. Wonderful meeting you!! Let's do it again SOON!

Andrea said...

Chelle, I loved this. I am so glad we met.

Tracy27 said...

Alright, so I'll admit it, this did make my eyes leak. What a lovely entry. I think that was one of the best weekends of my life, and when you said 'no drama' I thought - Amen, what a rarity.

I'm so glad we met, Chelle. You're awesome, and brave for coming out here, although I'm glad you had Grits out here too, ready to have your back (or just give you a good if hard-riding tour of the City).