Feelin' Sore, But Lucky

What I learned this weekend: tiling is hard work, friends. And it makes your body HURT!

About a year ago, my mom decided to do her allergies a favor and get rid of her 30+ year-old carpet (vintage!) and replace it with tile. She bought all of the tile. She bought the grout. Dave and I offered to install it for her. After putting it off too long and with mom hinting that she "just might hire someone else", we finally began the installation process over the long weekend.

Dave drove down to Florida on Thursday to start the process. I drove down to join him on Friday and to assist. We only got the living room done, so we will be repeating the process on Dave's next three-day weekend in March. But it's lookin' good! When I arrived on Friday night, Dave had gotten this far:



On Saturday, we finished laying all of the tiles in the living room, and it looked like this:



The entire time we worked, the dogs stayed in my mom's teeny tiny backyard, watching us through the window with their noses pressed against the screen. I kept saying they were our supervisors.



I had to leave on Sunday, since I am not lucky enough to have President's Day off from work. But I WAS lucky enough to avoid the severe weather that hit Florida right after I left and had hit my travel route a few hours before. I like to think it was my Jedi-Janet mind tricks that kept it to the east of me the entire way.



Alas, it is Monday and I am back to work. Dave will be home tonight and maybe we'll finally celebrate us a little Valentine's Day. Though we might decide to catch up on sleep instead. We are just that romantic.

3 comments:

bluesleepy said...

Wow, that looks AWESOME! I love how you set the tiles on the diagonal. It makes the room look so elegant. The border is really pretty, too. And tile is absolutely lovely anyhow. we had it in our kitchen and bathroom back in WA, and I miss it.

OK, now this coming weekend you need to do something that ISN'T going to cause your body to ache. First riding on Grits's motorcycle, and now tiling!! Rest easy this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Man, that floor looks great. You guys do good work.

Tracy27 said...

The floor looks fantastic. Your mom must be thrilled. Here's to a great belated Valentine's Day!