My will to work is missing

I seem to have misplaced my will to work this week. I am not very motivated and would really like to go home, curl up on my couch with a comfy blanket over my lap, a cup of coffee on the table beside me, and a really good book and maybe a cat or two to keep me company. It is raining outside and that just makes my idea all the more perfect.

I'm not sure that it is just the weather that is making me feel so under motivated. I really think it might have more to do with the fact that I am very much, without a doubt, over this job. My review a few months ago was ridiculous -- the biggest complaint per my supervisor? I go to lunch too often with one of my male coworkers and it "doesn't look right and people might talk." So now I am no longer allowed to go to trade shows with this person. We're talking once or twice a week and usually it was in an effort to conserve gas, not because we were going to rent a room for an hour at the Hampton Inn down the street. And I work in a department with all guys, so go figure (with the exception of my new assistant who was hired after my review).

I have also not been given a raise, though I was told during my review that the paperwork was on the CEO's desk for approval. I guess that's kind of like the saying "the check is in the mail." Plus, after discovering I make a lot less than my male predecessor and that the inexperienced new sales associate is making about 20k more than me, I made the mistake of confiding my feelings about all of that to someone who did not keep what I told him confident. Another reason why it is time to move on.

I love change and I have a feeling that bigger and better things are just around the corner!

1 comment:

bluesleepy said...

Wow, that blows chunks. Men STILL get paid more than women. And I bet you do an awesome job at what you do. It's just ridiculous that you're not compensated as fully as you ought to be.

I am sitting here listening to the rain pound off the windows, and it actually sounds really cool. If I didn't want to finish watching Jane Austen and stitch so badly, I'd lay in here on the futon to read as I listened to the rain. Maybe even get a cup of hot tea!

Also thank you very much for your kind words on my blog. It's good to know I am not alone in how I feel, and I really do value your opinion. You have been a great friend to me even in just the short time we've known each other, and I appreciate that so much. Take care of yourself!